HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT POLISHING SPEED
To obtain a perfect polish, beyond the choice of the compound and the buffing mop, 3 criteria are essential:
- The rotation speed of the disc
- The pressure exerted on the part
- As well as the polishing time
Regardless of the material to be polished, it is important to prevent heating on the surface of the part so as not to modify its surface state (waviness, orange peel).
If your polishing products, compounds and buffing mops, work correctly, the operator will not have to force the part, polishing will be done without deformation of the part, efficiently and quickly.
CALCULATE THE ROTATION SPEED OF A BUFFING MOP
Depending on your part, your equipment and your expectations, a MERARD polishing expert will be able to advise you on the most suitable linear polishing speed.
You will then have to deduce the rotation speed of your grinder in rpm.
To help you :
1. Refer to the graph below
2. Identify the diameter of your buffing mop (in mm)
3. Select the linear velocity (in m/s) that you want to achieve
4. Calculate the speed of rotation (in rpm)
- When the buffing mop is new, its diameter is large => the rotation speed will be smaller.
- When the buffing mop will wear out, its diameter will decrease => the rotation speed will have to be increased to keep the same linear speed.
EXAMPLES OF SPEEDS DEPENDING ON MATERIALS
- Precious metals 15 m/s
- Plastic Lacquer 20 m/s
- Steel 25 m/s
- Copper brass 30 m/s
- Aluminium 40 m/s
CUSTOMIZED POLISHING DISCS
Our compounds and buffing mops are jointly developed in our workshop in our production site in France.
All our buffing mops are made to measure according to the diameter, thickness and finish of your choice:
- 25 qualities of cotton
- Buffing mops diameter from 40 to 960 mm*
- Harbor hole sizes from 6 to 130 mm*
- Various assemblies: sewing, staple, cardboard center, loose, corrugated, pleated …
Depending on the combination of compounds and buffing mops selected, recommendations for speed, pressure and polishing time are established.
Discover our selection guides for polishing discs in our catalog!
* according to the cloth references
If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact us so that we can adjust the process and the products to your needs.
DISCOVER ALL MERARD’S RANGES